Chalk paint is generally used on furniture to give it a matte finish or aged appearance. However, it is also used for chalking on sidewalks and driveways. Not only that, it is one of the most common fun materials among kids for outdoor activities.
Branded chalk paints are quite expensive, and they mostly come in quart size. So if you only need a small amount to paint furniture, that will be of no use for you.
Similarly, if you need sidewalk chalk paint for chalking the driveway, you need a good amount of it to do so.
Homemade chalk paint is the only choice to avoid buying expensive branded ones for your need. But first, you need to learn how to make chalk paint at home to save your money.
There are 4 methods to make chalk paint at home with simple and easy recipes you can learn.
How to Make Chalk Paint with Baking Soda
Making chalk paint with baking soda is the most economical and easiest method to make chalk paint. Follow these steps to make DIY chalk paint with baking soda and latex paint.
- Take 1/3 cup of baking soda and mix it well to make it lump-free.
- Add baking soda in 2/3 cup of latex paint.
- Mix it really well using an old blender, mixer, or stick.
- Don’t forget to make sure it is lump-free.
Although this method is the easiest of all, it has some flaws. Despite, the finished look will be chalky, but it will not be as smooth as branded chalk paint. You need 2 to 3 coats to get a better look.
How to Make Chalk Paint with Plaster of Paris
Using this method to make chalk paint will give you a good consistency, just like branded one. To make chalk paint with Plaster of Paris, follow the steps below.
- Take 1/4 cup of plaster of Paris and mix it with warm water.
- After mixing it well, add it into latex paint.
- Mix both mixtures using a blender for better consistency.
One of the drawbacks of using plaster of Paris is that it dries quickly. So if you want to do another coat, you have to make a separate batch.
How to Make Chalk Paint with Unsanded Grout
Generally, unsanded grout is used in grouting ceramic wall tiles. However, it can also be used to make chalk paint too. To make your own chalk paint using unsanded grout, follow the steps below.
- Add 2 tablespoon of grout in warm water and stir it well.
- When the mixture gets consistent, add it into 1 cup of paint.
- Mix it well and make sure the mixture is lump-free.
- Apply this mixture to your furniture, or use it as sidewalk chalk paint for chalking.
It will give you a nice chalky look, just like branded chalk paint. However, it dries quickly, and the mixture becomes thick over time. So you might need to add some water to make it consistent.
How to Make Chalk Paint with Calcium Carbonate
Calcium carbonate is widely used in many industries for different purposes. Chalk is also made of calcium carbonate. To make chalk paint using calcium carbonate powder, follow the simple steps below.
- Take 2 tablespoon of calcium carbonate powder and add 1 tablespoon of warm water into it.
- Mix it really well to make it lump-free.
- After that, add it into 1 cup of latex paint.
- Mix it thoroughly using a blender or a mixer.
It will give an excellent look, the same chalky look you get from branded chalk paint. It is long-lasting, and its mixture is consistent. It can also be used as paint spray by making it a little more liquid.
Making chalk paint using calcium carbonate is the best method of all. However, it is a little hard to find calcium carbonate powder, but you can find it at health stores or on amazon.